Since 1975
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • instagram
  • Home
  • Houthi landmines have killed 8,000 Yemenis since start of war

Houthi landmines have killed 8,000 Yemenis since start of war

Above, a member of Yemen’s demining team searches for land mines in the western province of Hodeida on March 1, 2021. (AFP)
Above, a member of Yemen’s demining team searches for land mines in the western province of Hodeida on March 1, 2021. (AFP)
Short Url:
08 Apr 2021 09:04:20 GMT9
08 Apr 2021 09:04:20 GMT9
  • Current areas under Houthi control may be contaminated with landmines

Arab News 

DUBAI: A Yemeni official has called on the international community to pressure the Houthi to stop planting landmines, which have so far killed 8,000, state news agency SABA reported.

Director of the National Mine Action Program Ameen Al-Aqeeli said on Wednesday that 61 members of his crew “have lost their lives and a large number of others have sustained wounds” due to the mines.

“Large swaths of the territories recently liberated from Houthi control in Taiz have been found to be contaminated with mines,” Al-Aqeeli said.

He said that this has led him to believe that current areas under Houthi control may also be contaminated with landmines.

topics
Most Popular
Recommended

return to top