DUBAI: The leading strong heroines of Studio Ghibli animations have been ranked by streaming-guide service 1Screen, where 300 people were asked which leading lady they related to the most.
The online survey ranked 11 of the main characters, with first place going to Satsuki from My Neighbor Totoro.
The full list is below:
11. Naoko from The Wind Rises and Umi from Up on Poppy Hill (tie)
10. Marnie from When Marnie Was There
9. Haru from The Cat Returns
7. Sheeta from Castle in the Sky and Arrietty from The Secret World of Arrietty (tie)
6. San from Princess Mononoke
5. Sophie from Howl’s Moving Castle
4. Shizuku Tsukishima from Whisper of the Heart
3. Chihiro from Spirited Away.
2. Kiki from Kiki’s Delivery Service
1. Satsuki from My Neighbor Totoro
Because Satsuki was the eldest daughter and was always taking care of her little sister, it seemed to have struck a chord with many in Japan.
Many of those who watch Studio Ghibli films find themselves emotionally attached to the main characters and the heroines, giving more reason to the rankings.